Thursday, February 3, 2011

Omega Mind Upgrade

Somewhere today between cooking, cleaning, and regular daily chores I realized my functionality wasn't what it was weeks, months, even year ago. It was taking a toll on more than just my gut... it started to eat away at my brain.

All of a sudden my memory was diminishing. I would stand up and forget where I was going before I left the room. My first thought was the overused self-diagnosis of ADD/ADHD, but I knew it couldn't be that-- I never had these sorts of difficulties before. When I told my doctor about it, he put me on an alternative ADD diet high in Omega-3s and the results were great and in full swing within a week.

Fish Oil is number one when it comes to Omega-3s. I thank fish oil first for my regaining of mental awareness and even better mood. Fish Oils are known to enhance effects of anti-depressants, and the countries with the highest intake of fish oil have the lowest suicide rates. (Flax oil is a perfect substitute.)

Right after fish oil is Valerian root. In pill form it's probably the most grossly pungent pill I've ever ingested, but it works wonders. Though it's mostly suggested as a sleep aid, it helped to ease my mind and allow me to focus on one thing at a time again. This effect is probably a big reason as to why it is often suggested to take to sedate nervous tension, hysteria, etc.

The most important part of my mental re-construction was my avoidance of stimulants: caffeine, all sugar, candy, Yellow dye #5, 6 and 10 and Red dye #40. I quickly found out (especially after cutting down to on caffeinated drink a day) that my mood was much better and my mind functionality more consistent when I wasn't craving something.

So there's my two cents. It's been going great and I'm happily back to exercising both mind and body. I encourage anyone else to try this diet if your looking for better mental awareness, positivity, clarity, and overall productivity. Let me know what your think/ your experiences below and feel free to post questions as well, I'll answer them. Feedback is much appreciated.

save

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews